Monday, April 03, 2006

Meth dream

Last night we were watching Intervention, which is of considerable merit (considering that it is 'reality-based'). One of the addicts was a meth-head, which prompted a discussion of the drug between myself and my Bitter Half. Between us, we've had ample drug experience, although for many years beer and coffee have been our only vices. Neither of us had the stupidity to try meth, though. I'd never even heard of it until I lived in Montana in 1995. The stories I heard were all from seemingly normal, working class folks, but had sidebars such as: "Yeah, I went on this one binge that lasted three weeks...didn't sleep the whole time, but nobody noticed because I was tending bar OK," or,"I remember looking out my driver's-side window and there was like this big black dog keeping up with the car. I was going, like, 70, so that's how I figured out it was just a shadow ghost."

This is not anything I'd like to experience. Add to that the potential for addicition and you've got...nothing. That is a drug that will rob your SOUL. The girl on TV was twenty-six and couldn't keep her eyes open. She prostituted herself to nasty, nasty men for chump change. She had the benefit of a supportive family and a chance at redemption financed by a television corporation. I think of all the poor suckers who don't have either and are already at rock bottom. Why put yourself and your family through this? Who invented this poison?

No big surprise, then, that I dreamt I got high on meth. I was on a bus and hiding my pipe from this zealot who kept trying to convert me to some weird Christian sect. It was a huge pipe, looked more like a bong, and I distinctly remember the sensation the drug caused. It was a blurry, slurry high with lots of trails that caused me to not process what people said for several seconds. The bus I was on was moving, which made it even weirder. I'd only had a drug dream like this once before, when I dreamt I did heroin (never have). I was sitting in a chair & couldn't move, but didn't want to anyway.

I don't know if these are accurate descriptions of the effects of those drugs or not.