Saturday, October 28, 2006

too much

There is too much bullshit going on to even describe. My rock-solid husband and I are slowly having respective meltdowns. He figured out that about 20% of his gross pay goes to insurance, which explains one reason we are living paycheck to paycheck. We are tapped emotionally, physically, and financially. We can't give any more, which is why when my husband was told he was supposed to work four extra hours without pay to put on a Halloween Festival--I mean Fall Festival (no Halloween for us here. Satanic, you know)-- he balked. After his class made a substitute cry and four students got into a fistfight when he took a sick day when our son was ill, he just flat-out refused to participate. He left on time and didn't come back. No doubt we will feel the repercussions of this decision ripple through the community. This is the type of thing that will get your tires slashed here. Hell, a riot nearly broke out during the Fall Festival bingo over the way the numbers were being called.
For my part, I mustered up a bit of chutzpah and did a mad-scientist-dissects-a-corpse activity. For those who are interested, a large peeled plum makes a convincing kidney when squished properly and coated in cellulose paste mixed with stage blood. I may hear little snarls of contempt from disgruntled adults, but the kids went nuts. This was especially so because I wouldn't let anyone under fourth grade in, and we went in groups of eight and locked the door behind us. My mad scientist, Dr. Furioso, was a cool geeky home-schooled kid that no one knew. I had black lights, a strobe light, and free barf bags. I made a killing ($60 in the two hours alloted), to be distributed to the classroom activity fund. It wasn't worth the time & energy expended by a long shot, but I come from a long and distinguished line of Halloween junkies, and it was my homage to the elaborate parties of my youth.

I am homesick and lonely and tired and my favorite cat got hit by a car. I am taking care of her kittens, my son, my husband, and a hundred and seventy needy kids. I want to sleep for twelve hours and have people bring me ginger ale and cinnamon toast, but I am coming to realize that will not happen ever again. I'd settle for a good night's sleep and a new Brita filter in the pitcher. If anyone has anything positive to tell me, now is a good time, because I'm teetering.

1 Rants:

Blogger Sarah ranted...

Do you want to come to Las Cruces for Thanksgiving? We'll have ginger ale and cinnamon toast, among other things. I'll bring them to you in bed on a tray with lots of flowers, alcohol and a sedative.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home