Saturday, May 06, 2006

CYS: Money for Nothing

Hey, Children & Youth Services--what the hell do you DO, anyway? I can tell you a few things they DON'T do. They DO NOT:
- take children away from parents on drugs
-take children away from mentally ill biological parents who refuse treatment, can't hold a job, and pose a risk to their children's well-being
-give permanent custody to the more stable parent or other guardian
-place children in a "better home" (i.e. with running water and a mom who isn't whoring for cash) if it means taking them away from their biological mother
-give teachers any say in assessing "at-risk" behaviors, even though they're with them for eight hours a day

I get physically sick thinking about this crap. I don't sleep from 3 AM to 5 AM most mornings because of the anxiety this type of thing causes me. If you can be around heartbreak cases all day and shrug them off at 3:30 PM, congratulations. You are soulless and dead inside. I applaud you, because this is the only way to avoid feeling like you're being clawed apart from the inside with guilt, disappointment, and rage.

If you are in a branch of CYS that is efficient, just, and effectual, then challenge me. I would love to be wrong on this.